Sunday, February 3, 2008

february!

It's February already! I have to say that I haven't really done that much lately. Feeling a little bit like Vanna here!



Maybe it's just that time of year, although it is starting to get lighter earlier now. But still, not motivated would be the polite way to describe how I'm feeling these days. I did get a little excited yesterday when I realized that I'll have to start planting seeds in a few weeks. I just ordered my little Jiffy-7 peat pots, and need to think about building my plant frames soon. Maybe over winter carnival, although I really should be spending that time doing some reading. AHHHH! At least the laundry is finished for a few days and I can get in and out of the driveway, so I am pretty happy about that!

Amalia and her sister Elynn came over yesterday to snowshoe. I've pretty much packed down the trails where I usually go, but it was still a pretty good workout. I don't think I went out Friday, so it looked pretty with the trails covered over a bit. Elynn and Amalia have the same laugh, it was pretty cool hanging with the both of them. Plus Amalia did the dishes. Woohoo!!! How'd I get out of that one??



It's been a bit warmer which is really nice for the animals, too. I'm realizing that Lizzy is probably going to want to start laying her eggs pretty soon. I should probably consider moving the geese and ducks out of the barn, and letting Lizzy and the Mr. Turkeys have the front part to themselves. Maybe she would feel more comfortable that way and can find a hidden place to lay her eggs. I'm hoping we have chicks fairly early this year.If I leave the Mr. Turkeys in with Lizzy, they will protect her and the eggs. It will be a good thing. Pretty stressful last year with her eggs getting eaten by neighborhood dogs. What a bummer that was!I definitely need to start our own breeding program. I have enough orders for Thanksgiving turkeys to place an order through McMurray, but each chick is over $8 to begin with, not to mention shipping, then there is all the feed etc.

I also will need to build the moveable pens for the turkeys as well as for the chickens. Ok, now I'm feeling excited about doing something!! Woohoo. It is going to be an adventure.

Well, time to take care of all the beasts and do some paper grading. It could be a busy one, if I actually end up doing something! Maybe like vanna on our snowshoe, here! Sigh..... :-)



P.S. Just came back from feeding the animals and had a few interesting ideas....Maybe the new chicken house should be the new turkey house, especially if we are going to be starting our own breeding program. They don't seem to mind the cold, and it is warmer in the big barn so maybe the chickens will actually lay more eggs in the winter. I can build an extension on the duck/goose summer home, so that they can live there all winter long. We will probably have to make the fence a bit higher so that no wolves or coyotes can jump the fence with the snow on the ground, but I think it would work. Basically, keeping them all separate would be a good thing. We could get a bit more fencing for the goats summer area so that Little Richard and Flower could live out there all winter, and that would keep things nicer in the big barn for the girls. They don't treat Flower that well anyway. If we end up having a few whethers, if the girls get pregnant at all, then they can keep her company.

Don't think I mentioned that the girls were in heat again this weekend. Is it possible that Richard is shooting blanks? On the positive side, if they do have their babies in the summer, we'll be better prepared for them! Really looking forward to that.

Anyway, time to get some school work done!

No comments: