Thursday, December 13, 2007

new chicks

Here are a couple of pictures of our new chicks, who aren't so little any more. They aren't really laying too much, which is a bit of a bummer, and I think a few of them are eating the eggs. Benj and Rio were right when they told me that I should crush the empty egg shells before we give them back to them. They are so high in calcium, and it really adds to the nutritional value of their food. So I think they have gotten to the point where they see an egg and go for it, whether it is an empty shell or not!
Once they start this habit, it is really hard to break. We'll see what happens. Maybe it's just the cold weather. They are in the little coop now, and it definitely isn't as warm as I think they'd like it. We'll be doing some moving around again next year. We just keep trying, and one of these days we'll get it right!!!




And here's a picture of the finished coop from the outside. I think there are still a few things left to do, but we finished just before it got too cold to be up on that roof! Many thanks to Ash who helped out with it!



A random picture of Doug and Amalia who stopped over one of those days!

No comments: