Thursday, December 13, 2007

wooden bowls




I've been on a bit of a wooden bowl kick--I'm blaming Adam because he is always talking bread. The cool thing about wooden bowls, according to Adam, is that if you don't wash your bowl, but simply wipe it out after your dough has risen, the yeast will actually begin to work on its own if you just put flour and water in it. It's a pretty fascinating process.

Because wooden bowls are so expensive, I decided to start making my own. Here is a picture of the first one I've made, and I know there will be more this xmas break. I just haven't taken the time to make more. This one dried too fast and cracked, and now it is only good for holding big items. What I will do with the next bowls I make is wrap them up in a plastic bag and drain the water out every few days. This way they dry slowly and won't crack. We'll see how it goes.

I really enjoyed making this, though, and am looking forward to more. I need a good set up for it. The wood needs to be secured to a table so it isn't moving around so much. I think I have an idea about how to do it, it's just a matter of getting it up and running. That's what xmas break is for!!!

No comments: