Friday, January 4, 2008

more wooden bowls



I've been trying to figure out the best way to secure the wood for the bowls to a bench of some sort so the thing doesn't go flying around when I'm working on it. The tools are dangerous, and I don't want to be cutting off any fingers since this is really about having fun! I came up with this idea for the bench in the entry way after Adam showed me a picture of the way another guy secured his wood. If the pcs of wood are big, I think it will work great. Each support can actually fit on the top of the wood pc and hold it in place. It means I'll be moving the pc around a bit, but that's ok. For the smaller pcs of wood, like this one, I tightened the frame to the bench and kind of squashed the wood in between it. This kind of worked, but not well enough, especially once I trimmed off the sides a bit and made them more round. I'm thinking I need to have another pc of wider wood pushed up against the bowl, kind of like having it sit in some sort of box. Otherwise, I have no idea what else might work. If you have suggestions, please let me know! I've wrapped the bowl in plastic and will drain the water off every few days. Hopefully this will eliminate the cracking that happened in my other bowl.



But regardless, I really like it! I can't seem to get it round like "normal" bowls and they are really crooked, but maybe it will come to me with practice. That, or I have just developed a unique line of bowls that are shaped more like squares on the outside! That might look kind of cool! And why not, really? Hmmm.

Another great picture of Vanna!



And now it is time to be thinking about school! I've got lots of great stuff to read and a couple of classes to prepare for. Just so many things I want to do! All a matter of being smart with my time, is what I'm thinking!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What might work... cut a curve in each of the brace boards? Or add another pair of brace boards going lengthwise on the table, so that the bowl is held by four boards instead of two? Or maybe 3 would suffice, if arranged in a triangle. I'm just guessing; I've never tried to make something like this.