Friday, January 4, 2008

bread

I forgot to mention that I have been experimenting with different grains for bread making. The guy I bought this place from had left a grain grinder for the champion juicer, and I ground some rye berries and oat groats for bread. I used about 4 cups of rye berries that were pretty chunky, and cut them with regular wheat flour. Then I substituted the corn syrup for agave nectar. There is very little oil in the bread now, too, because I am using lecithin granules. It is seriously tasty stuff, and very healthy. I just ordered some bulk spelt berries, rye and oat groats from the co-op, and will use the spelt instead of whole wheat flour. I'll grind those myself, making them a bit finer. (I think I'm also going to start adding protein powder!) The bread is so filling and so filled with fiber this way! And a loaf goes a really long way, unless you are me and can eat a whole loaf directly out of the oven! Warm bread with butter and honey. I can't think of many things that are better than that!

Going to cut a huge log in half this morning so that I can start working on my dough bowls. These will be long and shallow, and I can mix and let the bread rise in them. It's hard to use a chainsaw to cut with the grain, but I'm hoping that if I go slow and am careful, it will work out ok. We'll see!! If I break this project up with my reading, I'm betting I get a lot done!

No comments: