Saturday, April 26, 2008

winter in spring

It's snowing at the moment. Hmmm. Not really much else one can say about snow at the end of April, other than Hmmmm...

But I've got some peas in, both bush and pole, some onions, and I transplanted some flowers--moving some stuff around that didn't work too well last year. We'll see how it goes. Still more than can be done as far as that goes, and, of course, I need to start working some of the ground. That has to wait till the ground is drier, though. Very exciting. Plus I've got 250 tomatoes and peppers started in the house. Just found out a local restaurant is looking for locally produced veggies. Considering it's a Mexican restaurant, I'm thinking I'll be able to sell them some of those tomatoes and peppers! Cool! Lots of hot peppers, too!

Let's see, Lizzy has 7 eggs in the barn. I'm hoping she'll start sitting soon. I feel bad because she really wants to travel in the yard, and I don't want her making her nest outside of a fenced in area. Too dangerous. And she was working on making one by the old homestead the other day. Shucks. Once she starts sitting, she can come and go as she pleases, i think.

Waddlesworth, Station and the ducks are in their summer home. She is happily sitting on her nest of about 5 eggs. We'll see how that goes.

The little chicks can come and go outside the chicken coop, but they're still afraid to. I might have to lower the door. I build a ladder of sorts for them to go in and out and it's a bit steep. When it gets warmer I might kick them out. They'll love the bugs.

Newspaper Dan stopped over last night. He found a tick already! Yikes. Those birds need to get out there and start eating!!

Here are some great pictures of him with a turkey love, and also a little chick who is missing part of her beak. Not sure what happened, but she is sure loving the attention!












No comments: